Forest Fires in the United States
12 August 2013
This map depicts fire activity in California &
Great Basin West Nevada as detected by
MODIS over the last 6, 12 and
24 hours since 3 AM MDT on 12 August 2013, and cumulative fire activity
detected since the begining of the calendar year.
Butler, Salmon River Complex and Corral Complex fires in California. The areas in red are abnormally warm surface temperatures.
LANCE - AQUA/MODIS.
Wildfire near Sacramento and Lake Tahoe. The area in red is abnormally warm surface temperatures.
LANCE - AQUA/MODIS.
These images, were taken by the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on the Aqua satellite. They show fires burning in California on 11 august 2013 at 21:50 UTC. Source: NASA satellite image repository (selected and interpreted by GFMC).
Lightning started four large wildfires in central Idaho in early August 2013. After igniting on August 8, the Elk Complex fire and Pony Complex fire both grew rapidly on August 10, when the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA’s Aqua satellite acquired this image. The red outlines show the fire area as detected by MODIS.
The Elk Complex Fire appears to have generated a large pyrocumulus cloud, which is formed by fire-heated air that rises rapidly into the atmosphere. The Elk Complex Fire threatened hundreds of homes and forced evacuations in the Pine-Featherville region and in the small community of Prairie. It is the highest priority fire in the nation. By August 12, the fire had burned 90,249 acres of grass, brush, and conifer stands, making it the second-largest active fire in the United States.
On August 5, 2013, the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on Aqua captured this image, which shows smoke rising from the Douglas Complex fire and the Big Windy Complex fire in southern Oregon.
To the south, the Salmon River Complex fire and Orleans Complex fire burned in northern California. Red outlines indicate hot spots where MODIS detected unusually warm surface temperatures associated with fire.
Recent Media Reports on Fires in the United States: Note: The hyperlinks on the left side of each news are password-protected (User ID and password to enter the GFMC database are available for partners of GFMC. To obtain the ID and password, please send your query to email@example.com). The links on the right side (in brackets) are leading to the original news source; sometimes these news are expiring rather swiftly - a reason for the establishment of the internal GFMC database):
- Yarnell Hill Fire: Findings may prevent future firefighter deaths, experts say (published by www.azcentral.com 11 August 2013)
- State of Emergency Declared in Calif. Wildland Fire (published by www.firehouse.com 10 August 2013)
- NASA 'Fire Towers' in Space Watch for Wildfires On the Rise (published by www.sciencedaily.com 09 August 2013)
- 'Head to toe' burn victim among five hurt as California wildfire spreads (published by http://usnews.nbcnews.com 09 August 2013)
- Silver fire: Homes burning, 5,000 acres lost, no containment (published by www.latimes.com 07 August 2013)
- Kitsap firefighters battling underground forest fire (published by www.komonews.com 06 August 2013)
- Water truck driver working on southwestern Oregon forest fire dies in crash (published by www.washingtonpost.com 06 August 2013)
- Rafters describe eerie trip on river (published by www.mailtribune.com 06 August 2013)
- 'Firefighting is not war' (published by www.hcn.org 05 August 2013)
- The true costs of living in the forest (published by www.denverpost.com 04 August 2013)
- Forestry work helps vets ease into civilian life (published by www.wral.com 03 August 2013)
- Home Builder's Guide to Construction in Wildfire Zones (published by www.fema.gov 03 August 2013)
- Falling tree kills firefighter in Oregon forest; 28th firefighter fatality in 2013 (published by www.foxnews.com 02 August 2013)
- Angel Fire approves wildfire protection fees (published by www.santafenewmexican.com 01 August 2013)
- Southern Oregon wildfires ignite scam: false evacuation alerts (published by www.oregonlive.com 01 August 2013)
- As another Firefighter is Lost on the Line, over 5000 Private Wildland Firefighters are on the Ground in Oregon & Washington (published by www.prweb.com 01 August 2013)
- 1,700 firefighters battle flames in Washington and Oregon as hundreds flee homes (published by www.washingtontimes.com 01 August 2013)
- Firefighter killed by snag in Oregon wildland fire (published by www.firehouse.com 01 August 2013)
For more reports see GFMC Media page: http://www.fire.uni-freiburg.de/media/news.htm