Forest Fires in the United States
22 May 2014
Operational Land Imager on the
satellite acquired these images of the fires in Alaska on the 20 May
2014. The top image shows a dense smoke cloud drifting south, while the
false-color image shows the fire front, flanks, heel and the scar
that the fire left (doubt if it is by the fire or dead trees due to bark
beetle outbreak) . Some pyrocumulonimbus can be appreciated.
The Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer
(MODIS) on NASA’s
Aqua satellite acquired this image
of the Funny River fire in Alaska on 20 May 2014 . A long smoke
plume can be seen drifting south and then east. The fire is
outlined in red.
On 19 May 2014, the Funny River fire broke out in Alaska, buning by 21 May 20.000 ccres. Several evacuations have been carried-out. The poor air quality is affecting cities and towns such as Anchorage and Homer.
Recent Media Reports on Fires in the United States: Note: The hyperlinks on the left side of each news are password-protected (User ID and password to enter the GFMC database are available for partners of GFMC. To obtain the ID and password, please send your query to email@example.com). The links on the right side (in brackets) are leading to the original news source; sometimes these news are expiring rather swiftly - a reason for the establishment of the internal GFMC database):
- Montana resolution: Firefighters not expected to put lives at risk to save homes (published by www.coloradoan.com 25 May 2014)
- Fleet expanded: Forest Service brings 3 more Neptune Aviation tankers for firefighting season (published by http://mtstandard.com 25 May 2014)
- Firefighters keep Arizona wildfire from advancing on homes (published by http://planetark.org 23 May 2014)
- Putting Out Fires by Throwing Money on Them (published by www.cato.org 22 May 2014)
- San Diego County Looks Like Mars After Fire (published by http://time.com 21 May 2014)
- Obama Administration Presses on Firefighting Funds (published by http://abcnews.go.com 20 May 2014)
- Forest Services expands firefighting tanker fleet (published by http://news.yahoo.com 20 May 2014)
ore reports see GFMC Media page: http://www.fire.uni-freiburg.de/media/news.htm